A meeting took place between the 17 members of the Community and Voluntary Pillar of Social Partnership presented their proposals on how the Government can best develop an integrated national recovery strategy. Their recommendations will be discussed with a range of Government ministers and officials in the coming weeks and submitted as a pre-budget submission.
The Pillar members were very critical of government for failing to protect the vulnerable and proposed a five point plan to ensure the protection of the vulnerable and the improvement of public services during this recession.
- Increasing the tax take while keeping Ireland a low tax country.
- Securing better value for money in the delivery of our public services.
- Reforming the public sector (by implementing the recommendations contained in the report of the OECD).
- Targeted expenditure cuts where required but ensure that vulnerable people are protected.
- Focusing expenditure on the common good to provide required infrastructure and public services.
The members of the CV Pillar proposed that this five point plan would produce a dividend from this recession - person centred public services.
You can read the full Press Release here