- We have a team of Youth Development Officers (YDO) across the country to help and support you in your involvement with Young SVP.
- There are a number of models of engagement available; please contact your regional Youth Development Officer (YDO) for more information.
- YDO's will visit your school/group and provide ongoing support to your Young SVP groups.
- Our team will encourage young people to explore issues of social justice and act upon these, where youth led participation is key.
- Resources are also available from the team and also here including; Education Resource Pack, RE Resource, Workshop ideas and plans, video links and answers to FAQs for school projects.
Young people in SVP groups decide to act on issues that are important to them. Within Young SVP we have four main projects/activity categories (which link to the mission and values of SVP).
1. Befriending Projects
Befriending is one of the central works of SVP. At its heart is the person to person contact with people. "In befriending another person we give of our time, our talents and ourselves." Frederic Ozanam.
Talk to your YDO about planning your project to ensure it is safe and beneficial for everyone.
2. Education Projects
Education is very important to SVP, Young SVP education projects involve young volunteers supporting others within their educational experience, it could include shared reading groups, homework clubs or intergenerational projects.
3. Social Justice Action Projects
Groups take time researching and gaining understanding of social justice issues of their choosing before designing a response that aims to change things for the better. Some examples could include awareness campaigns, lobbying, promoting / advocating for change…
4. Direct Aid Projects
Find an area within SVP that you want to support. Groups then research and learn about what services are offered and find out what kind of support they need. Some examples include supporting: local SVP Conferences; homeless services; Twinning projects (with African countries); organising fun events to support groups in the local community; and many more....
Remember all activities require appropriate supervision & parental consent. Whatever you decide to do make sure you register with the Young SVP Team before you start.
If you would like to find out more about how your school can get involved please get in touch with a
Youth Development team near you
Please remember to contact a member of the team to ensure your chosen activity is appropriate and registered – additional guidelines may apply in relation the protection of Children and Vulnerable Adults policy.