Wearing a face mask is one way we can all help slow the spread of coronavirus that causes COVID-19. Follow these instructions to make a cotton Face Mask. If you are in a position to do so we would appreciate any donations of masks or other PPE for our essential workers.
Masks should be constructed from tightly woven, high thread count cotton fabrics. The fabric should not have any stretch, and should not be knit (i.e. t-shirt material).
Recommended fabrics include: Poplin, Shirting, Sateen, and Percale in 100% cotton. A possible source of fabric is high thread count sheets and pillow cases.
Wondering if your fabric will work? A simple way to check is to fold it into two layers. You shouldn’t be able to see through the fabric, but you should still be able to breathe if you hold it over your mouth.
Before you start, fabrics should be washed and dryed on Hot in order to pre-shrink them.
1. Lay main mask pieces wrong sides together. Sew around edges at 1/4” to secure
2. To create pleats: place pins along 7” edges as illustrated
3. Bring first needle to second to create pleat.
Repeat with third & forth, fifth & sixth
4. Sew along previous stitching to secure pleats
5. Press up 1/4” on both 1 ½” x 6” binding pieces
6. Lay unfolded side along pleated edge of mask, stitch at 1/4”
7. Fold binding around seam allowance & pin on opposite side, encasing raw edge.
Topstitch in place.
8. Repeat for opposite side.
Trim binding to match mask
9. On both 1 ½” x 40” strap pieces, fold & press long edges to center
10. Fold the mask in half along the long edge & mark the center with a pin.
Do the same with the strap
11. Matching centers, pin the strap in place. Stitch to mask body at 1/4” 12.
12. Wrap strap around seam allowance as on binding & pin.
13. Unfold strap ends. Fold in 1/4”, then re-fold pressed creases. Pin to secure.
14. Top stitch along entire strap, including mask.
To finish, stitch across strap ends to secure, and press pleats flat
Click here to download a printable version of these instructions.