SVP proposes a budget package to lay the foundation for an Ireland without poverty
The Society of St Vincent de Paul (SVP) has proposed a package of reforms beginning with the forthcoming budget that would lay the foundation for an Ireland without poverty.
Entitled ‘Foundations for an Equal Ireland’ the SVP submission includes proposals for further investment in education, housing, energy & climate justice, and income adequacy.
Its five main pillars for eliminating poverty are:
- Adequate social welfare that meets people’s minimum essential needs.
- Access to decent work, a living wage for workers and supporting parental employment.
- Quality public services that support the well-being of people, society, and the economy.
- A just transition to a low carbon society, so no one is left behind.
- Poverty proofing of all economic and social policy including budgetary decisions.
To read the full submission click here